Skip to main content

Rossport residents say An Taisce ‘undermined’ them

By: 
Anton McNulty - Mayo News

An Taisce accused of undermining Rossport residents in gas action

Two Rossport residents who along with An Taisce settled legal actions brought against the State following consents granted for the Corrib gas have described the settlement as a ‘devastating defeat’ and accused An Taisce of ‘undermining’ them.
Peter Sweetman and Monica Muller of Rossport South, Ballina, along with An Taisce challenged An Bord Pleanála’s decision last January granting permission to Shell EP Ireland for its third proposed route for the pipeline.
The action was heard in the High Court but was settled after an eleven day hearing after an agreement by the State to properly transpose aspects of the European environmental impact assessment directive by the end of the year. An Taisce described the settlement as a victory for the environment but Mr Sweetman and Ms Muller say they are ‘at a total loss’ why they believe this. Pobail Chill Chomáin also described An Taisce’s decision as ‘baffling’. In a statement, Mr Sweetman said they don’t see it as a victory but as a ‘devastating defeat’. He also accused An Taisce of ‘undermining’ their legal actions against the Corrib projects by not supporting their cases in court.

Posted Date: 
8 November 2011

An Taisce withdrawal sparks four protests in two days

By: 
Frank - Rossport Solidarity Camp - Indymedia

More protests expected this week
Last week, an Taisce pulled out of a judicial review challenging the granting of consents in Sruwaddacon Bay as part of the Bellinaboy gas refinery project. Already the subject of a ten year campaign, this was not going to be taken lightly. The local community have been left with very little options, but that has not stopped the determination to fight on.

Shell trucks - All blocked up; Everything else passed
Shell trucks - All blocked up; Everything else passed

Posted Date: 
2 November 2011

News Release - Another deal behind closed doors betrays people of Erris

News release - Issued by Shell to Sea - Thursday, October 27th, 2011

 

ANOTHER DEAL BEHIND CLOSED DOORS BETRAYS PEOPLE OF ERRIS

-- Withdrawal of An Taisce case against government sparks anger in community --

The State has admitted it failed to correctly bring into law required EU Environmental Directives. The admission was made today in the Commercial Court, in a case in which An Taisce withdrew its legal challenge to the validity of consents for the Corrib Gas project.

Despite this, the State is still maintaining that the consents given to Shell, including one given by interim Fianna Fáil minister Pat Carey on the day of the last general election, are still valid.

Shell to Sea spokesperson Terence Conway said: “If the state isn't going to carry out its moral duty to protect the people of Erris, then it falls on the ordinary people of Ireland to stand up for themselves. It's all very well being vindicated but we're still left fighting this monument to political corruption. This is just the latest deal in the whole Corrib project done behind closed doors that ends up betraying a local community which has been fighting this unwanted development for over ten years.

Sunday Independent article about Corrib protesters was ‘significantly misleading’, Press Ombudsman finds

By: 
William Hederman - IrishOilandGas.com

The Press Ombudsman has upheld a complaint against the Sunday Independent over an article by Jim Cusack about the women at the centre of the Corrib Garda “rape” recording. He has found that the article was “significantly misleading” and that it reported rumour as fact.

The complaint was brought by Jerrie Ann Sullivan, one of the two protesters whose arrest in Mayo on March 31st 2011 led to a Garda sergeant and his colleagues accidentally recording themselves with a digital video camera. During the conversation, they talked about threatening to rape one of the women in their custody.

The wording of the decision is convoluted, due to the complex nature of the case. However, viewed together with Cusack’s article (‘Rape’ claims were hurled at gardai by protesters), the Ombudsman’s decision paints a picture of a crude and highly incompetent attempt to undermine the credibility of the women who brought the recording to public attention.

Posted Date: 
25 October 2011
Syndicate content