Admittedly it took a while to finally see The Pipe, the award-winning documentary that tells the human side of the story of the Shell fiasco at Bellanaboy – I just couldn’t muster the enthusiasm for it on RTE or TG4, because it’s a story that isn’t in my own backyard.
- The truth is more than just what we see on television - 13 hours ago
- Ken Saro-Wiwa 20th Anniversary Commemoration November 10th 2015 - 4 days ago
- Compensation for women duped by covert police officers - 1 week ago
- Shell racks up nearly €100m loss as it waits on go-ahead for first Corrib gas - 1 week ago
- Vermilion Energy: Euro Gas Operations Are Front And Center - 1 week ago
- TTIP talks: EU alleged to have given ExxonMobil access to confidential papers - 4 days ago
- Phasing out the use of fossil fuels remains a burning issue in fighting climate change - 1 week ago
- How scientific miscalculations could crash the climate - 1 week ago
- Science Museum ends sponsorship deal with Shell - 2 weeks ago
- FG Minister Joe McHugh defends EPA review of fracking process - 2 weeks ago
Blast from the Past
Shell To Sea Latest Tweets
Quote of the Week
But perhaps big oil’s biggest success was diminishing the political will to implement appropriate regulation. Even after the international community adopted the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) in 1992, the fossil-fuel industry managed to block meaningful progress — to the point that, if serious action is not taken soon, the entire process could unravel.
In Europe, Royal Dutch Shell’s lobbying so diluted the EU’s efforts that there are now no binding targets for renewables or energy efficiency for individual countries. The company even sent a letter to the European Commission’s president claiming that “gas is good for Europe.” Shell and other oil companies are now promising to work as “advisers” to national governments on how to deal with climate change.
Subscribe to Email News Update
If you wish to subscribe to receive the Shell to Sea News Updates then click on the link below and enter your email.
The email list is a low volume list of usually one or two emails a month.